It promises to be a great one!
Grab your suits and come on over. It's cold and refreshing.
Other amenities=sand box, trampoline, video games...
am I tempting you to pick up the phone?? Do it!
Are You Prepared?
Our stake has been having a preparedness earthquake drill this week. We supposedly had a 6.5 earthquake Monday morning (just in our stake).
No electricity, no gas, no water, no grocery store, no phone, or computer.
How long can you survive?
We've done ok. so far.
Day 1 for us was Tuesday. I didn't think we were supposed to use our fridge--so we had mostly dry things all day, peanut butter, jerky, raisins, crackers, fruit. Then I grilled some chicken for dinner. It was hot. all day. Not too bad, but work the next day.
Russell is not on board with this little excercise--so we have had our swamp cooler on every night and showers on the days I work (I still want to keep my job), but other than that we've used our food storage and survived.
Things like this make you realize what you really need. More water, a water purifier, more canned meat and veggies. It's helped us take inventory of what we have, what we most likely won't use, and what we need. Today we got electricity back so We can enjoy lights and the swamp cooler without too much guilt. We have water now--but it's not suitable for drinking. (I really miss my dishwasher) We get cell service on Friday, gas and good water on Saturday. We still can't go to the store until Monday though... Sunday dinner may just be rice and beans...and we'll dream of Cafe Rio.
Check out this link about earthquakes http://geology.utah.gov/online/pdf/pi-40.pdfIt also helps you realize the luxuries we do have. I really felt "in the dark" literally and communication wise. No news, no phones to call your neighbor down the street. You are really on your own. This was a lot to ask of all those stay at home moms out there. Stuck in their sweltering homes, children out of school, no tv, movies, ipods, or computer/video games. Wow! kind of makes me think of my childhood--every day in the summer and why my mom made us go out and play by 10 am and stay out -- so she could get something done.
Yes we are truly blessed to have what we have--or is it that we are spoiled?.....
OK--it is now the next day and I've just realized -- I shouldn't have blogged at all because we don't get internet priveledges until Monday. OOPS! I was thinking--oh, we have electricity--i can use the computer......dumb dumb dumb! So all of you who were good little members of the stake please don't judge me too harshly :(
It's hard bouncing back from work to home-work-home-can i turn on the light? can I flush the toilet? can I blog?
Oh the guilt that I carry with me-silly really.



2 comments:
How fun! I wish we could come over to the Baker Pool!!! It looks like a lot of fun!
seriously? sounds awesome.
Post a Comment