3/28/2009

ski**ski**ski**ski**ski**ski**ski**ski**ski

Here I am...



No seriously, this is where I am!! Steamboat Springs Colorado. Woo hoo!! I am skiing. This is awesome!

Russ' company was going to be a sponsor of the Nastar ski races, but they backed out at the last minute.....What that means is... I got to come. Horray!

When I first found out he was coming I asked if I could come along. The answer was no. boo hoo. but when Goode backed out a week before the races, things changed. Russ and a few friends from work had already paid their registration fees and qualified for the Nastar (national ski race) and they would have lost out on at least 250$. Big bummer! Soooooooo. I finagled a way out of working on Friday, convinced my mother she needed to spend some great quality time with my children, and wa la!

The only bad part, ok, the only two bad parts is I am sick with a horrible nasty cold/cough/headache illness (the kind where you cough so hard you either barf or poo your pants--yes really), and the drive over was more than a little frightening. We followed a huge storm....21 inches of snow huge. Closed the Denver airport, and most roads leading into the valley......including 1-70. The 6 hour drive ended up taking 8 1/2 hours. CRAZY!

We got to our expensive condo (a parking lot away from the high speed quad and the gondola--nice) at 10:30, we were sooooo glad to lay down on the awful beds and sleep, well, try to anyway. I of course coughed all night long.

Oh, the snow. 21 inches. WOW! Hav eyou ever seen 21 inches of snow on pine trees? It seriously is such and incredible sight.....I am soooo bummed I left my camera in the condo...both days. I loved every bit of it, except the part where I am so out of shape I had to quit early at 3pm!!! OK, maybe I OVERDID it a little, but wow! Reminded me of my single crazy days and all the ski trips I went on back then... Check this out--the trail map, this place is HUGE! I bagged out of dinner with the snowbasin racers, I seriously think I seared my lungs... I sent Russell by himself and I spent the evening in front of food network. hmmmmm, maybe i do need to succomb and get cable. YUM! I know I for sure got the best end of that deal. I would much rather spend a night at home, alone, with a book and cable tv versus party with people I don't even know getting drunk....that's a no brainer!

This morning we dragged our butts out of bed and crammed our sore toes into our nice warm and toasty boots, thanks to the Goode warming boot bag. Up on the hill at 10am. 7 runs of black diamond powder/bumps before 1 to catch the Russells last ski race, then up the Gondola to have a quick drink and some trail mix and then skied until 4:15. Oh how my thighs burned and knees ached. UnGH! I had to check the mirror tonight to see if my caboose was still there, cuz I thought I skied it off!! unfortunately, every ounce was still there, but I had a great time.

Now after a shower, an apple and some cheese, I get to blog while getting ready to go out to dinner with some friends, the Coombs. they are the ones who lined Russ and I up those many years ago.

What a fun weekend. I needed it! Thanks mom for keeping our kids. Hopefully we'll have better roads and weather for the drive home tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome. awesome. awesome.

Babbs said...

Terri I'm so glad the stars AND planets aligned so you could do this!