2/10/2009

is the day over already?

so I am wondering how in the world every day goes by soooo fast??

just a few minutes ago I was fixing dinner, then before I knew it....it's 9:00 and time for the bed and blanket show. for the kids that is.. I wound up doing so many things today I forgot to squeeze time in for a little cardiac stimulation, on the treadmill I went. It really sucks when everyone else is in bed and the 10 o'clock news comes on and I still have 1/2mile to go.

Ok you fitness addicts, is it better to excercise 3o minutes everyday or 1 hour 3 days a week? Is there any difference? Quantity or duration? What say you?

Oh...I fixed a very quick and yummy dinner tonight. Our family loves Pasta Roni, but 1 pkg is just not enough for us, and I totally admit I'm a cheapskate.....so, I found a recipe on Food network and tweeked it a bit, and came up with this.

Pasta side dish

2 cups water
3/4 cup milk or cream (I used 1% milk)
1-2 TBL butter (I used 1 and it was fine. could sub EVOO if so desired)
2 bouillon cubes ( I use the costco chicken base. You'll never go back to granules)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp basil
ground pepper
2 cups pasta (rotini, angel hair, linguini, curly noodles, etc.)

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. let boil 15-20 minutes until desired doneness. May need to add more water until pasta is done. (I did)
It was sooo yummy!! You could do almost anything to fit your taste. The garlic was divine!
Next time, I'll do parmesan cheese and a dash of nutmeg for maybe a fettucini twist.

I also made this old standby

Seasoned Chicken

chicken breasts cut into 2-3 pieces each.
1 sleeve crushed Ritz crackers
1/2 pkg Italian dressing mix (or Ranch drsg mix)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Mix crushed crackers, dressing mix, and cheese together. Roll chicken breasts in crumbs generously and place on cookiesheet ( if it's not stoneware, you better Pam it). Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes or until done. The kids love this. You can serve it over pasta with sauce, or just plain. My kids dip everything in ranch dressing, so that is always an idea.
Tonight I didn't have any Ritz, but I did find less than half a pkg of croutons and just smashed those up. I didn't add any dressing mix because they were already seasoned. It worked out pretty good. It was great because I started dinner at 6 and it was on the table by 6:30. A little broccoli and a glass of milk and wah la!


I must sleep now. My previously sweaty body has now been thouroughly chilled by the fan in my bedroom and I'm anxiously awaiting my flannel sheets.

TTFN

3 comments:

{lindy baker cakes} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{lindy baker cakes} said...

p.s. Your new pasta invention sounds divine!

{lindy baker cakes} said...

Okay, so I'm no fitness guru but I would think that the 30 minutes daily would be better rather than every other day ALTHOUGH I think they are both great. I just feel like daily exercise is better than every other day. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
Also...I have a question for you. Why can I not seem to make a good ranch dressing from the ranch packets? Every time I make it the mayo is overpowering. 1 cup milk, 1 cup mayo, and a ranch packet. Seems easy right? WRONG! I have used the best foods mayo. Is that the wrong brand? Please help!!!