3/17/2008

Soup Social & Cake Auction

On Saturday night we had a really fun night. Every year for the past ~7 years our ward has had a soup social. Everyone brings a pot of soup to share and we have hot scones. YUM! It's a great time to socialize and eat yummy stuff. This year I brought my favorite soup. Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder. MMMmmmmmm. This year we had a cake auction for the cub scouts--to raise money for the cubbies to go to camp and other fun stuff. It was a booming success! They made just over 800$. (Right Noelle?) There were some FANTASTIC cakes--I should've brought my camera. I spent 31$ and was greatly rewarded. Noelle's cake was absolutely amazing!! I felt silly only bring my salted nut roll bars--but they brought in quite a bit :) I've had multiple requests for recipes---so here they are.

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

1-1/2 lbs chicken 1 (16oz) can of creamed corn
1 onion, chopped 1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies
3 TBL butter 2 cups half-and-half
1 cup hot water 2 cups shredded Jack cheese
2 chicken bouillon cubes ¼-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or Tobasco
1 tsp cumin 1 ripe tomato, chopped

Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces, cook until firm with onion and butter. Dissolve bouillon in water and add to chicken with cumin. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn, chilies, half-and-half, cheese, and pepper/sauce. Cook until cheese melts—Do Not boil or cream will separate. Add chopped tomato and serve immediately.



And for dessert--these are great. Russell loves them cuz they don't have any chocolate in them--but I just thought hmmmmm they would be even better dipped in chocolate... What do you think??

Salted Nut Roll Bars

Yellow cake mix
1 egg
2/3 cup melted butter
4-5 cups mini marshmallows
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1 pkg Reeses Peanut Butter chips
¼ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 can (or a little more) salted roasted peanuts

Mix together cake mix, egg and 2/3cup melted butter.
Spread onto jelly-roll pan. Bake at 375 for 10-12 min.
Or until lightly browned. Spread mini mallows on top
Of crust, and bake another 5-6 minutes until puffy.
Cool completely. Melt together corn syrup, peanut butter
Chips, vanilla and ¼ cup butter. Spread evenly on top
Of marshmallows. (do this quickly because it will set up)
Sprinkle nuts on top. Let set a few hours before cutting.
ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you liked it. and yeah it was $800 or something like that. glad you posted your recipes. yummmy stuff.

Emily said...

YUMMY! I will say it again... I wish I had been there! When I was looking at the recipes, I informed Larry that I am going to make all these because its from Terri, and everything she makes is to die for :) Thanks for sharing!!