Tuesdays are usually my run errands, laundry, and catch-up day. Today was no different. The best thing about the day was a tie..... homemade scones with cinnamon butter and visiting my sweet neighbor Lola. The worst was a 34 minute long tantrum from my dear sweet 4 yr old.
I made the yummiest scones to go a long with my turkey noodle soup. I got this recipe from my neighbor growing up--Cori Henderson. She made the best scones. Here is the recipe.
SCONES
2 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl yeast
2 cups warm water
2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 Tbl salt (I use less)
9 cups flour
Mix all ingredients together except for flour. Then add 1 cup flour at a time. Knead well and let rise; punch down and let rise again; punch down. roll dough out, cut with sharp knife (or pizza cutter) into angles. Place in a deep fryer.
I made a half batch and used 2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 1/2 cups white flour. YUM! I only used 1 tsp salt and it was fine. This made enough for my family, the 11 year old scouts, a neighbor, and 10-15 left over. PLenty!
I was going to make the yummy honey butter, but I found a recipe for cinnamon butter and oh baby...I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Here are both recipes.
Cinnamon Butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Let cube of butter set at room temperature for 1 hour. Beat the butter until light and fluffy (about 6-8 minutes). Gradually beat in brown sugar and cinnamon. Makes 1 cup spread
Honey Butter
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cup honey
1 egg yolk
Combine ingredients and beat in mixer for 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Serve with scones or cornbread.
I saw this recipe and wanted to try it, but didn't today.
Orange Butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 orange rinds, finely grated
1 cube butter
combine and beat in mixer for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
Sorry----I got carried away there. So after dinner, I decided to make a quick visit to my dear neighbor Lola. She is an amazing woman. Her husband of 54 years recently had back surgery and is in a rehab center now. We love these neighbors like our own grandparents. They are such good people. She was worn down and tired but still took the time to tell me how Harv was doing and about life in the good "ol days. (while munching on hot scones) I love to hear her stories and her devotion to her sweet husband.
When I got back home and started on my mountain of dishes, Kamryn proceeded to throw the biggest fit ever......over a stupid Barbie bandaid. I know she was tired, I know I should have just given in---but I didn't want to drive to Walmart at 8:45 at night and buy a new box of Barbie bandaids because hers (the most beautiful one) stuck to itself and Karson threw it away and the other 23 bandaids in the box just wouldn't do....... No I stuck to my guns and shut her in her room until she could calm down. WOW! I hope that doesn't happen again. Ever.
Now I must lay in my bed and finish my book. Russelll brought home InkDeath -- the new and last Cornelia Funke book in the Inkheart series. Kaden and I are both in the middle of books right now, and we both want to read Inkdeath. So-----whoever gets finished with their book gets to be the first to read it......
1 day ago



1 comment:
oh man i love this song. never heard it. will have to buy it.
oooh! thanks for the recipes. YUUUUUmy. and way to go for not giving in to the tantrum. she will now know it doesn't work. next time - just get earplugs. :)
Post a Comment